History of the Waiorau Nordic Sports Club
The ski club was first founded in 1993, and registered officially in 1995. Originally named the Wanaka Nordic Ski Club, the name was changed in 2013 to the Waiorau Nordic Sports Club to recognise the area in which the ski field lies and to encompass all the Nordic sports that are enjoyed there including Summer training.
The youth development group was set up as a separate club for the encouragement of the young skiers in 1999 by Mary Lee to help our young keen skiers to participate in overseas competitions. After some successful fun filled trips to the Australian Hoppet, the team of dedicated parents and friends were inspired to support the keen skiers through the Waiorau Nordic Sports Club.
Today our clubs have amalgamated and but our goals remain the same.
Between 2014 to 2018 the club has fundraised $18500 for youth development. This money has assisted many of our younger club members to further their development within the sport and to compete in international events.
Benefits of being a Club Member
- Merino Muster Entry 20% off entry fees .
- Social activities and newsletters.
- Social hour at the Snow farm Lodge lounge at 3pm on notified Saturdays.
- Lockers to store your skis on the mountain (additional $15 per annum) Limited number.
- No charge for the club race series.
- Family friendly atmosphere.
- Support Youth Development with fundraising activities
- Facility improvements such as the new lunch bar and stools for all to use in the Snow Farm lunch area.